Last Updated on February 18, 2023 by Sarah Jaffe
A rubber boot is a kind of footwear that is usually made from a waterproof and elastic material. It is mainly worn in cold weather or in wet conditions to keep the feet warm and dry. However, rubber boots can be quite tight and uncomfortable to wear, especially for those with wide feet. If you are facing this problem, then you have come to the right place.
In this article, we will show you some easy and effective ways to stretch rubber boots so that they can be more comfortable to wear.
6 Ways to Stretch Rubber Boots
1. BOOT STRETCHERS
One of the best ways to stretch rubber boots is to use boot stretchers. Boot stretchers are devices that are specifically designed to stretch out shoes and boots. They come in different sizes and shapes, so you can choose the one that best fits your needs.
To use a boot stretcher, simply insert it into the boot and turn the knob or handle to expand the stretcher. This will create more space inside the boot, making it more comfortable to wear.
- Turn the handle clockwise to begin opening the stretcher after slipping it inside the boots.
- Give the handle another 2-3 twists to extend the rubber when the boot stretcher feels really tight and is difficult to turn.
- Boot stretchers should be left inside boots for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- To close the boot stretcher, slowly counterclockwise crank the handle. Take the stretcher out of the boots once you are unable to crank the handle anymore.
- Check the fit by taking a walk in the boots. Repeat the process for a little additional stretching if you desire.
Another way to stretch rubber boots is by freezing them. This method is quite simple and can be done at home with just a few items.
- First, fill two ziplock bags with water and seal them tightly.
- Next, insert the ziplock bags into the boots and put them in the freezer overnight.
- The water will expand as it freezes and this will stretch out the boots.
- In the morning, take the boots out of the freezer and let them thaw for a few minutes. Then, remove the zip lock bags and wear the boots as usual.
3. Warming via Hairdryer or Sun
If you find that your rubber boots are too tight and uncomfortable, then you can try warming them up to stretch them out. This can be done using a hairdryer or by simply putting them in the sun for a few minutes.
- Turn on the hairdryer and hold it close to the boots, moving it back and forth until the boots are warm. Alternatively, you can put the boots in the sun for a few minutes.
- Once the boots are warm, put them on and walk around in them for a few minutes. This will help to stretch them out.
4. RUBBING ALCOHOL OR VASELINE
Alcohol and Vaseline are both effective ways to stretch rubber boots. This is because they help to soften the material and make it more pliable.
- First, pour a small amount of alcohol or Vaseline onto a cloth.
- Rub the cloth over the areas of the boots that are too tight.
- Put the boots on and walk around in them for a few minutes.
- Repeat the process if necessary.
5. WEARING THICK SOCKS
Socks can add extra padding and make the boots feel less tight. Put thick socks on before putting the boots on. You can also wear two pairs of socks if you want.
6. WALKING AROUND
Once you have put on the boots, walk around in them for a few minutes. This will help to loosen up the material and make them more comfortable to wear.
You can also try stomping your feet or jumping up and down to help stretch the boots out.
Rubber boots are a great way to keep your feet dry and protected from the elements. However, they can sometimes be tight and uncomfortable. Luckily, there are a few ways to stretch them out. You can try using a boot stretcher, freezing them, warming them up, or rubbing alcohol or Vaseline on them. You can also try wearing thick socks or walking around in them to help stretch them out.
With a little bit of effort, you can get your boots to fit just right. We hope this guide was helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out to us. If you have any queries regarding this article, feel free to ask. We will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for reading!
Yes, you can stretch rubber boots that are too small. This can be done by using a boot stretcher, freezing them, warming them up, or rubbing alcohol or Vaseline on them.
You can also try wearing thick socks or walking around in them to help stretch them out.
Yes, boots will stretch as you wear them. This is because the material will loosen up and become more pliable. You can help to stretch them out by walking around in them or by stomping your feet.
One thing to keep in mind is that you should use caution when handling boots to prevent them from getting wet during the procedure. Boots are susceptible to harm if they become wet.
Additionally, avoid exposing your shoes to extreme heat since that might degrade the material of the boot.
Avoid forcing your foot into an uncomfortable boot. If it doesn’t fit, use the methods mentioned above to stretch it until it does. Don’t paint yourself or damage the boot.
Sarah is the brains behind BootsNerd. Sarah Jaffe is a writer, editor, and boots lover based in Brooklyn, New York. She has done BA (Hons) in Footwear Design from De Montfort University, UK. She loves to write about boots and has a particular interest in vintage and sustainable fashion.